Team Leadership and Resource Management (TL&RM) for Operational Teams: TL&RM for Operational Teams is a comprehensive safety and human performance training program, modeled after similar programs used in commercial and military aviation, called Crew Resource Management. TL&RM for Operational Teams also includes elements of system safety to help participants gain a broader understanding of how a diverse approach to planning and decision-making may help to achieve desired safety and operational performance goals. TL&RM for Operational Teams contains essential elements of team performance and we also provide guidance for implementing TL&RM training in your organization. This course may be offered on-site at your facility or online through a Learning Management System.
Detailed TL&RM Overview
Team Leadership and Resource Management Training (TL&RM) is a training curriculum designed by V-Speed, LLC for operational teams and safety professionals that work in high hazard environments. TL&RM takes a unique approach to risk management and team performance training by recombining elements of human/team performance, administrative hazard controls, work system design, leadership, and system safety to help teams work effectively through coordinated efforts using a deliberate leadership and safety-oriented approach to operations. TL&RM Training was designed by a former Marine Corps aviator, who is experienced with Crew Resource Management on complex military aircraft. Many of the aspects of team performance, safety, and leadership which have helped improve safety in Marine Corps aviation have been adapted and combined with training aspects from system safety for teams that work in other high-hazard industries. TL&RM Training is designed to help teams understand essential components of effective and safe teamwork and how these components may be applied in an operational context.
TL&RM Training has been designed for multiple employee levels, including line operator employees, supervisors, team leaders/managers, and executive leaders. TL&RM Training is also designed to help Safety Professionals gain an understanding of effective ways to lead and manage teams in high-hazard environments.
The TL&RM material is organized into the following 11 Learning Modules:
1. Introduction to Effective Teamwork: This module explains elements of effective teamwork and is intended to help course participants understand factors that help teams execute operations safely, effectively, and efficiently, and to understand aspects of teamwork that can degrade safety and operational performance.
2. Authority, Responsibility, and Operational Control of Teams: This module describes how organizations provide authority and oversight to teams for tasking as well as safe and effective team control during operations. The Authority, Responsibility, and Operational Control module is designed to show employees at multiple levels how operational control affects task execution and how they can be part of the control loop to influence safety-focused outcomes.
3. Leadership in Operational Teams: This module helps explain the concepts of leadership to employees at multiple levels. The various roles of leaders are explained, including the differences between Designated Leadership and Functional Leadership, and how every team member can be a leader, particularly when safety is concerned.
4. Team Communications: This module describes communications in operational teams and how communication can significantly impact safety and mission outcomes. Examples of effective and ineffective communication are provided as well as recommendations for effective team communication techniques for improved safety.
5. Focus on Operations and Safety: This module helps explain the challenges associated with operational execution in high-hazard environments, including the effects of unanticipated events and unrecognized hazards. Employees at all levels will also learn about the concept of Situational Awareness and how it can impact safety and task execution. This module will explain of the challenges associated with maintaining a high level of concentration and how this relates to focus on operations and safety during task execution in high-hazard environments. The module will also provide participants with strategies and techniques to help maintain a shared-awareness of the operational environment, task status, and hazards during operational execution.
6. Job Planning and Execution/Ongoing Safety Analysis: This module highlights the need for pre-job/pre-mission safety planning tools and the requirement for operational teams to constantly update their risk management plans as tasks unfold. It will provide employees at multiple levels with knowledge to help crews and teams plan jobs as safely as feasible and continue planning and reassessing hazards in an iterative fashion as tasks unfold and when unexpected events occur during operational execution.
7. Resilience and Adaptive Capacity: This module is designed to help employees understand the concept of resilience at varying levels and how a lack of planning for resilience can leave organizations and teams vulnerable to unanticipated threats or hazards. Additionally, this module will explain the concept of adaptive capacity, which includes planning adequate safety resources and a “defense-in-depth” approach. Adaptive capacity is often necessary when crews do not have the option of simply stopping work if plans change during job execution.
8. Decision-Making: This module is designed to help team members understand the responsibilities of decision-makers in operational teams and how decision-makers can arrive at their outcomes. The module also goes into detail about several decision analysis and support strategies and participants are provided with techniques to help them understand ways to plan and evaluate potential success or failure points during high hazard operations and ways to build defensive layers to help minimize failure potential and/or failure consequences. Strategies and techniques for effective decision-making are explained to help employees at multiple levels understand how safety and decision-making are linked.
9. Mutual Support and Backup: This module is designed to help the participants understand how team members not only support each other for safe mission accomplishment, but how they may be empowered to speak up when an unsafe event occurs. Strategies are presented to help participants understand how to demonstrate assertiveness during unsafe and uncomfortable situations, including when organizational barriers exist.
10. Time-Sensitive Risk Management: This module is designed to help the participants understand methods for mitigating risks during mission execution when there is little time to conduct a comprehensive qualitative or quantitative risk assessment.
11. Integrating TL&RM Into Daily Operations: This final module is designed to provide strategies and techniques which employees, safety professionals, team supervisors/leaders, and high-level organizational leaders and managers may implement to help integrate the learning gained from TL&RM into their organizations. It provides actionable recommendations for taking TL&RM from the classroom to the field or production/operations environment.
Each Learning Module will include its own learning objectives. The overall learning goals for TL&RM Training are to help participants understand; how to improve effective teamwork, how to distribute leadership for streamlined decision-making, how to develop team members into more effective leaders for improved team performance, how to develop effective communication techniques, how to develop methods to frame and maintain job focus, how to plan jobs with safety designed-in from the outset and techniques to maintain this focus, how to develop resilience through planning and backup options as well as adaptive capacity to maintain levels of performance and safety as job demands change, how to be effective decision-makers, how team members can support each other for mission accomplishment (including the concept of assertiveness), how to conduct risk management activities in real-time while jobs are in progress, and how to integrate effective team strategies into daily operations.
In-person at customer site, in-person at third party site, webinar, or online through a Learning Management System.
For more information contact us today. We would love to discuss how TL&RM Training can help take your team operations and safety performance to the next level.