Crew Resource Management for Precise, Reliable and Optimized performance!
Are you a leader or manager trying to improve your team performance in the areas of production, quality, reliability and safety?
What is holding you back from taking your teams and crews to the next level of performance? Are you struggling to;
- Create a repeatable method for consistent crew or team performance?
- Figure out why your crews continue to make the same errors and fail to learn from them?
- Develop better decision makers on the front lines so you don’t have to make all the decisions yourself?
- Mentor your teams so they can improve their coordination and decision quality for better results?
- Improve communications within and across teams so you can reduce waste and redundancy and improve efficiency?
- Improve situational awareness so crews and teams can think several steps ahead of their tasks to avoid failure?
- Distribute leadership tasks to your front line teams to improve operational execution?
- Create a system that fosters assertiveness so crew and team members can feel comfortable and confident speaking up in the face of a dangerous situation or degradation of quality or reliability?
- Help crews and teams understand the need to adapt smartly and safely when aspects of the job or project change and to think through the impacts of their decisions as they adapt?
- Figure out a repeatable, consistent and reliable method so crews and teams can follow a plan-brief-execute-debrief-learn approach for professional operational performance?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you are not alone. We talk to numerous leaders and organizations on a regular basis and these are common patterns that plague many leaders. So, is there a solution to solve these problems? Absolutely, YES!
CRM-PRO is Crew Resource Management for Precise, Reliable and Optimized Performance
CRM-PRO is a turnkey system broken down into 3 critical components:
Textbook + Training + Implementation and Program Development = Precise, Reliable and Optimized performance!
1. Self-Study: V-Speed’s Founder and CRM-PRO Product Manager, Randy Cadieux is the author of the breakthrough book Team Leadership in High-Hazard Environments: Performance, Safety and Risk Management Strategies for Operational Teams. This is the flagship book designed to help learners understand how to build the CRM-PRO program.
2. CRM-PRO Training Workshops. We will come to your site and teach the CRM-PRO material in a two-day workshop. We have developed, implemented and refined this training over the course of four years. We have found the optimal learning time for our clients is two back-to-back half-day workshops. We will come to your facility, and teach the first half of our learning modules on day one and the second half of our learning modules on day two.
3. CRM-PRO Program Implementation. Using a combination of V-Speed’s CRM Implementation Toolkit and your own existing safety and crew/team operations and safety programs we will coach you to develop a sustainable CRM program. This phase is designed to take the knowledge gained from reading the book and participating in the CRM workshops and integrate and operationalize the learning into a set of daily habits designed to make CRM a normal part of everyday operations. The long-term goal is to create a culture where everyone on your teams says, “CRM is the way we do things around here.” At that point you have achieved cultural transformation and can further refine your CRM-PRO program through periodic reevaluations. This is CRM-PRO. Precise, Reliable and Optimized performance!
Here is the information we will teach you and your teams:
Crew Resource Management Training (CRM) is a training curriculum designed by V-Speed, LLC for operational teams and safety professionals that work in high hazard environments. CRM takes a unique approach to safety and operational team performance training by combining elements of human/team performance, administrative hazard controls, work system design, leadership, and system safety to help teams work effectively through coordinated efforts using a deliberate leadership and safety-oriented approach to operations. CRM Training is designed to help teams understand essential components of effective and safe teamwork and how these components may be applied in an operational context.
CRM Training has been designed for multiple employee levels, including line operator employees, supervisors, team leaders/managers, and executive leaders. CRM Training is also designed to help Safety Professionals gain an understanding of effective ways to lead and manage teams in high-hazard environments and to help bridge the gap that often exists between Safety Professionals and operational team leaders.
Two Training Tracks, One Goal:
CRM Training is not a one-size-fits-all solution and we realize that different leadership, management, supervisor and worker levels may need a different style of training delivery. To that end we have broken up our training into two distinct, but linked training sessions; CRM-PRO Lead and CRM-PRO FLS/W. PRO-Lead training is targeted toward senior leaders and line managers who oversee areas like operations, safety, manufacturing and production and is designed to help them understand their role in shaping the work climate and culture so that crews can perform their optimal work. PRO FLS/W is targeted towards front line supervisors and workers who work day in and day out at the “sharp end” where they are exposed to the hazardous work that helps produce the clients’ products or deliver their services.
Regardless of the learning track (PRO-Lead or PRO-FLS/W), our CRM training will touch on numerous critical areas, which are described in the Learning Modules section below.
The Learning Modules are broken down into the following 8 areas. Please note these Modules may be combined or rearranged to meet the training needs of the client:
1. Introduction to Effective Teamwork: This Module explains elements of effective teamwork and is intended to help course participants understand factors that help teams execute operations safely, effectively, and efficiently, and to understand aspects of teamwork that can degrade safety and operational performance.
2. Leadership in Operational Teams: This Module helps explain the concepts of leadership to employees at multiple levels. The various roles of leaders are explained, including the differences between Designated Leadership and Functional Leadership, and how every team member can be a leader, particularly when safety is concerned.
3. Team Communications: This Module describes communications in operational teams and how communication can significantly impact safety and mission outcomes. Examples of effective and ineffective communication are provided as well as recommendations for effective team communication techniques for improved safety.
4. Focus on Operations and Safety: This Module helps explain the challenges associated with operational execution in high-hazard environments, including the effects of unanticipated events and unrecognized hazards. Employees at all levels will also learn about the concept of Situational Awareness and how it can impact safety and task execution. This Module will explain the challenges associated with maintaining a high level of concentration and how this relates to focus on operations and safety during task execution in high-hazard environments. The Module will also provide participants with strategies and techniques to help maintain a shared-awareness of the operational environment, task status, and hazards during operational execution.
5. Job Planning and Execution/Ongoing Safety Analysis: This Module highlights the need for pre-job/pre-mission safety planning tools and the requirement for operational teams to constantly update their risk management plans as tasks unfold. It will provide employees at multiple levels with knowledge to help crews and teams plan jobs as safely as feasible and continue planning and reassessing hazards in an iterative fashion as tasks unfold and when unexpected events occur during operational execution.
6. Resilience, Adaptability, and Adaptive Capacity: This Module is designed to help employees understand the concept of resilience at varying levels and how a lack of planning for resilience can leave organizations and teams vulnerable to unanticipated threats or hazards. Additionally, this Module will explain the concept of adaptive capacity, which includes planning adequate safety resources and a “defense-in-depth” approach. Adaptability and Adaptive capacity are often necessary when crews do not have the option of simply stopping work if plans change during job execution.
7. Decision-Making: This Module is designed to help team members understand the responsibilities of decision-makers in operational teams and how decision-makers can arrive at their outcomes. The Module also goes into detail about several decision analysis and support strategies, and participants are provided with techniques to help them understand ways to plan and evaluate potential success or failure points during high hazard operations and ways to build defensive layers to help minimize failure potential and/or failure consequences. Strategies and techniques for effective decision-making are explained to help employees at multiple levels understand how safety and decision-making are linked.
8. Mutual Support and Backup: This Module is designed to help the participants understand how team members not only support each other for safe mission accomplishment, but how they may be empowered to speak up when an unsafe event occurs. Strategies are presented to help participants understand how to demonstrate assertiveness during unsafe and uncomfortable situations, including when organizational barriers exist.
Each Learning Module will include its own learning objectives. The overall learning goals for CRM Training are to help participants understand how to: improve effective teamwork, distribute leadership for streamlined decision-making, develop team members into more effective leaders for improved team performance, develop effective communication techniques, develop methods to frame and maintain job focus, plan jobs with safety designed-in from the outset and techniques to maintain this focus during operational execution, develop adaptability and resilience through planning and backup options, maintain levels of performance and safety as job demands change, make effective decisions, and support each other for mission accomplishment (including the concept of assertiveness),
CRM-PRO is designed to take your teams and crews to higher levels of performance! If you would like more information, please read the important information below and fill out this contact form. We will get in touch with you right away to help understand your challenges, struggles and needs and develop a strategy to help you.
*Note: We don’t work with short-sighted clients who simply want a quick fix. In reality, there is no quick fix. We work with high-quality, committed clients who truly seek improved operational and safety performance, including Precision, Reliability, and Optimized performance.